Happy Canada Day! Klaus Salchner authored an excellent article on using NProf and ACT for profiling. It’s a good introduction to profiling and optimization techniques.

Still working on 0.9, but there’s not a great deal of time to get it polished for a release. Since there are thousands of downloads for 0.8b, I want to make sure that 0.9 is stable for general use.

Read full post

Thanks to the nice guys at Brightspot Consulting and their “win an iPod draw”, I’ve come away with a brand-spankin’-new 15Gb iPod.  First thing I did was get myself one of those amazing iTrip FM Transmitters from Griffin Technology.

These devices together make up an amazing one-two combo of convenience.  To get music working in my truck, I just pop the iTrip into the iPod, hit my iPod station preset and go.  As long as you keep the iPod’s volume around 70-75% you’ll get a crystal clear signal.  I tried using a cassette-tape-adapter at first, but this is by far more convenient.

You should be able to find the iTrip at your local Mac dealership.

Read full post

Been busy over the last few weeks as we get married, took a week off hidden in the mountains of BC and then returned to Calgary to get back into our regular groove.  It’s been really hectic but a lot of fun.

Our wedding was in a mountain up around Abraham Lake, Alberta.  We chartered a helicopter company to take us to a little nook above a beautiful mountain lake.  It took six trips to haul our 20-person wedding party to the mossy outcropping.  The pilots gave us a great ride, even following a fantastic sepentine mountain valley river for a short while.  From the destination’s ledge the view was spectacular: a green, glacial mountain lake sitting at the bottom of two enclosing mountain chains.  There was even a small glacial waterfall on the nook that we used for all of our pictures.

There’s a surprising amount of work (and stress) to organize a wedding- even a small one like ours.  I can say one thing for sure: it’s definitely worth it.

Read full post

Lots of cutting involved in creating a MAME cabinet.  This last weekend I managed to cut out the two side panels using my brand-new spinsaw from Canadian Tire.  It’s a sweet tool - a bunch of different rotary tools in one.  Like a Dremel, but more heavy-duty.

I went to a number of stores looking for the T-moulding that I’ll need on the cabinet edges.  None of the places here in Calgary stocked it, so I decided to order from  They also carried the 1/16” slot-cutting bit that you need to route the edges with.  I don’t know how long it’ll take to arrive.  At least there’s some assembling to do before it all gets here (the base of the cabinet can go together before anything gets routed).

Read full post

I took the cabinet sides and used the circular saw to clean up some of the nastiness I left by using a spinsaw.  The trick is building a jig using a straight piece of wood and an aluminum guide.  You can use one edge of the wood to line up your cut and then use the aluminum to guide the saw in a straight line.

I also got the top of the control panel cut.  By the time I started I was getting pretty tired and really messed up the first cut.  Thankfully you can fix most cuts with more cutting.

My recommendation to anyone considering building a MAME cabinet: make sure you can commit for a couple of months.  For inexperienced woodworkers like myself, you’ll probably take a couple of hours to do cuts that a skilled worker could do in a few minutes.  I’m glad that I’ve been doing it- I can at least count myself as someone who can now use a power tool safely and figure out a way to make any basic cut that I need.

The MAME-cabinet-related posts are a little boring and repetitive, I know.  It’s mostly so I can keep a journal of when I’ve worked on it so I can string them together as a basic instruction guide after I’m done.  Bear with me!

Read full post